2017 GoalsSunday, January 01, 2017
Happy New Year, everybody!
I'm so glad 2017 is here. The second half of 2015 til the third quarter of 2016 was terrible for me. I want to just flush those months down the toilet. Hopefully, everything will be better in the coming months.
Instead of making resolutions, I'd rather have goals. I never stick to resolutions but goals are another thing. It may just be a matter of semantics but whatever works, right? I don't want to overwhelm myself either. So I'm sticking to simple goals that I know I can do and will have an impact.
1. Only buy new products when I'm running low or when I've actually run out. 2016 was a more economical year for me when it came to personal products (makeup, skincare, etc). Since I was developing new stuff for the business, everything I earned, I spent on new ingredients. And I went over what I made. Ooops! Towards the end of last year, I was sort of finding my way around that so I think this is something I can do.
2. Wear dresses. I love wearing dresses - they feel so comfortable. But I've been stuck in a rut and most of the time would wear jeans and a t-shirt. I've been lazy about my appearance and I want to put a little effort into it this year.
3. Come up with a routine. Working freelance and from home takes a lot of discipline. I would put off work because in my mind I tell myself that I can work any time I want. And when its time to get something ready, I cram and end up tired or sick. There's a reason why things need to be scheduled. I already took the first step and bought a planner. It helped me in the past when I would write down my to-do list and check it off one by one. I didn't get anything fancy - I'm happy with my plain old Moleskine which has a lot of writing space, since I take down notes all the time.
4. Lose weight. This isn't even about looking good. I feel like crap. Physically. Been experiencing a lot of health complications because I'm at my heaviest ever. All my doctors have said that I need to lose weight. In line with that, my sub-goal is to 4a. Eat healthier by consuming more vegetables, 4b. Reduce or eliminate rice, noodles and bread (unhappy asian!) and 4c Hit the gym. Use the membership I'm paying for.
5. Listen to my gut when it comes to people. Those who know me well know that I am shy, even if it doesn't seem like it. It's difficult for me to engage from small talk, so I'd rather avoid interaction altogether if I don't make a connection. I also get this gut feeling that some people are just "off." So why this goal? Because people have been telling me to be more sociable, make new friends. I tried. I really did. But I should have listened to my gut. On a personal level, I stuck with "friends" who would only get in touch when they needed something or wanted to brag about something. Then become total assholes in the end. On a professional level, it was being part of a "community" and then realizing that some people do not share the same business ethics and shit hits the fan. I hate dishonest people. I hate it even more when they do that to me. Bottomline, listen to my gut.
I have a few more that I want to do but I want to start with these first. The point is not to overwhelm myself. When I'm doing good with some of these, then maybe I can set new goals for myself.
How about you... what are your goals for this year?